Saturday, April 15, 2023

BANKIE

 August 5, 2022    BANKIE

 I knew it. There had to be reasons I was carrying all that stuff. Thank goodness bankie was with me. 
 
I tried a third ticket agent at Chicago Midway to change me to an earlier flight home, but again, it was futile. I gave up and resigned to a 12-hour overnight at the airport, beginning at midnight. When asked, the attendant told me to go to the A4 area for a possible quiet experience. 
 
After zero sleep the night before I was dreading a night in the concourse chairs. 
 
Lo and behold there were several small sofas put together in a commons area. I had to walk around a while, but as soon as it cleared, I plopped right down. Out came my favorite travel companion: that SUPER-soft green blanket Tim and Karly had given me for Christmas. I had carried it wrapped around my carry-on and almost lost it a few times on this leg home from the Shaklee Convention in Kansas City. 
 
Soon I was snoozing the best one can under loud lighting and “Nuts On Clark” ads blaring from a store video nearby. Blankie made a GREAT pillow.
 
At one point I woke up and there were three other ladies asleep around me. I knew my stuff was safe, so it was off to the bathroom and back to bed. 
 
Around 4:30 AM I awoke and my ladies were gone, but right then a lovely young woman walked up and asked to sit down. She had seen me on our previous flight and was also delayed at Midway. With a good hour available, we chatted about family, her Yoga instruction career, etc, when suddenly I realized her baseball hat was a green Shaklee one! Between that, her 5 kids (one special needs!) I was blown at all the things we had in common, though she was a bit younger.
 
“Can I borrow your blanket?” She asked at one point, obviously cold. “Is it a Shaklee blanket?”
“No, but it should be!” I laughed. “It is green, isn’t it?” 
 
I wrapped her shoulders and we continued a wonderful convo that included mutual advice and prayers I was so blessed to have met her, and by 5:45 or so she was on her way to a flight out to Washington State, but not before we friended on FB and traded numbers. 
 
I managed to grab a quick breakfast at the nearby Bagel shop, and ran back to sweet sofa where I had 5 hours remaining before the flight to St. Louis. I got settled and just then, two little boys plopped down on some nearby chairs. I smiled at them, and a little conversation began. Brothers Matteon and Aeden (9 and 6) were on their way home to CA from a track meet in KY, by way of Chicago. Dad was nearby talking on a phone, and sister stood nearby with eyes on all of us at the same time, but they stayed out of our conversation.
 
I asked them lots of questions, while pulling my green blankie over my shoulder to stay warmer. Loved hearing about school and mom and more.
 
Just then I noticed their rolled-up blankets sitting nearby. "Are those your blankets?" I asked. Yes, they were.
 
"If your Dad and sister are ok with it, come on over and sit with me. Let's get a photo." They jumped over to the sofa, where Sister took our picture -- all three of us wrapped and warm in Greens.
 
Midway Airport, Concourse C, Mezzanine level. Airport C. You just need to go there sometime and spend the night.   Make sure you have a bankie.     You never know whom you will meet.



No comments: